What Makes an Effective Leader?
An effective leader can motivate, communicate well and plan effectively. The qualities that make a leader involve creating fresh possibilities and moving a team forward to develop what is needed in their role.
The management of groups or teams within a school or college is very much dependent on the leader of the group.
The qualities which make a successful school team leader include:
The ability to provide clear directions by:
• establishing goals and standards
• communicating group goals
• involving people in target-setting
• delegating tasks with clarity
The encouragement of open, two-way communication by:
• being open and straight-forward when dealing with people
• being honest, direct and to-the-point
• establishing a climate of openness and trust
Willingness to coach and support people by:
• being supportive and helpful
• being constructive when dealing with poor performance
• supporting the aspirations of colleagues on the team
Recognition of objectives by:
• recognising and appreciating good performance
• acknowledging good performance and contributions publicly
The ability to establish on-going controls in order to:
• follow up important issues and actions
• give the team feedback on their performance
• encourage innovation and new ideas
• give clear-cut decisions when necessary
• demonstrate high levels of personal integrity
Do you agree with the qualities listed above?
What makes a GREAT leader rather than a good one?