Student leadership and personal development – core skills training
Nurture leadership in yourself, pupils, and colleagues
Suitable for: Any qualified teaching staff, from all sectors of state schools and colleges ranging from EYFS to FE, including special schools and PRUs. Unfortunately we are only able to accept teachers based in England.
Phases suitable for: Primary / Secondary / Further Education / Special
As part of Connecting Classrooms you can develop student leadership and personal development (SLPD) in your school or college through this comprehensive 9-10 week core skills training, which offers a blend of 2 face-to-face sessions and online support. This course is suitable for all teachers from state schools including EYFS, primary, secondary and FE, including special schools and PRUs based in England.
Completing this course makes you eligible for Connecting Classrooms Professional Partnership funding to deepen your learning through an international visit.
On this programme you will:
- Build character, resilience and grit in your pupils
- Plan projects, lessons and challenges that promote leadership in learning
- Relate leadership scenarios in school or college to real-world challenges
- Understand the issues in enabling students to lead meaningfully
- Collaborate to plan and lead professional development through reflective practice
This programme is designed to help you:
- Understand how to enable students to lead in a range of different contexts and purposes both in and out of school or college
- Learn strategies that enable you to consciously nurture and develop the leadership capacities of your students
- Grasp how leadership capacities relate to, for example, team-work, problem solving and resilience
- Apply leadership skills to challenges and real life contexts, and appreciate the place of self-awareness as a driver for leadership
Download PDF: Teaching student leadership and personal development
Hosting a course
Can’t see the dates or area you need? Why not consider hosting a course as an INSET event at your school?
We are always looking for schools to host core skills programmes. There are two ways that hosts can receive training:
- Host school exists within a cluster/academy chain/local network and holds the selected core skill course for staff across their group of schools.
- Host school selects course/dates of their choice, but extends an open invitation for external delegates to attend the course. In this instance, we would be happy to advertise the course via our website and would accept bookings on your behalf.
- Minimum of 10 delegates must be registered for host events
In return we provide a Connecting Classrooms accredited trainer, the course materials and we cover the subsistence costs for all external delegates attending your event.
Benefits of hosting a core skills course:
- Act as a Connecting Classrooms hub within your local network of schools
- Meet and work with staff from your cluster group of schools over the duration of the course
- Flexibility -When setting up your course, you are able to set the dates and the timings of the day (e.g. twilight hours) to ensure that the face-to-face events work seamlessly around your school calendar
- We are able to ensure that the core skills course is tailored to suit the needs of your group
If your school is interested in the possibility of hosting a future core skills course, please complete this form and return to Roxanne Spalding. If you have any questions call the team on 020 8253 8249.
Collaboration and communication
Creativity and imagination
Critical thinking and problem solving