This course considers the most recent evidence for what makes outstanding science teaching which engages learners and fosters children’s curiosity. It starts from the premise that the purpose of science education is to nurture the ‘scientists’ within learners.
- Identify features that contribute to outstanding learning in science
- Consider the integral role played by the ’Working Scientifically’ Programme of Study in the science curriculum
- Identify engaging starting points in science investigations that lead on from pupils’ questions, increase active engagement and build pupils’ curiosity in the world around them
- Consider what evidence of outstanding learning in science looks like
- Develop assessment strategies that enable teachers to identify and use children’s current understanding as a starting point upon which learning can be built