The revised National Curriculum requires teachers to ‘take account of the needs of pupils whose first language is not English’. However, there is little explicit information as to how this is to be achieved. This course will explore the key issues which impact on how support can be embedded for students with EAL in the National Curriculum. It will provide guidance, useful weblinks and examples of work in action and will leave delegates feeling more confident about achieving effective EAL provision and practice in their schools.
- Understand the current National Curriculum in relation to EAL
- Identify what good EAL practice looks like, and how to implement this in your school
- Use research and guidance to inform your planning for students from diverse linguistic, cultural and educational backgrounds
- Explore different approaches to EAL assessment
- Share examples of good practice currently being developed in schools