Students’ life chances are radically affected by exclusion from school. For this reason it is vital that schools do everything practically possible to address the needs of students at risk of exclusion. This course provides heads of year and senior leaders with the skills and knowledge they will need to identify and tackle major causes of exclusion in their school, to ensure that students at risk are well supported and to develop alternative strategies that can be used in place of exclusion.
Reducing Permanent Exclusions
Tackle major causes and explore alternative strategies
- Developing or reviewing an effective behaviour policy and implementing it consistently and rigorously
- Identifying vulnerable groups within your school and meeting their needs
- Carrying out an exclusions audit – addressing exclusions trends
- The role of effective pastoral care and Pastoral Support Plans
- Alternatives to exclusions – managed moves, internal exclusions, off-site provision