The government makes it clear that ALL children are entitled to participate in PE lessons at school in the UK. Education should be inclusive and where appropriate SEND pupils must be included in the same lessons as their peers even if some form of adaption is required for them to gain access to the activities. This is the challenge, as for PE to be really inclusive the variety of activities needs to reflect the abilities of all pupils. Activities must be wide-ranging enough to cater for everyone while still presenting a challenge.
Special Needs and PE: Practical Inclusion Strategies
Removing barriers to the Physical Education curriculum
- Understand barriers of learning to the PE curriculum for children with SEND
- Create learning opportunities through the effective differentiation
- Mae PE meaningful using relevant activities and resources
- Promote learning objectives that can be addressed through the PE curriculum
- Be confident in planning and delivering good quality, inclusive PE