Hashtags are a great way of searching for tweets in a specific category from the whole of the Twitterverse – search for #ukedchat and you will come up with a huge stream of tweets which have been tagged as interesting to anyone wanting to read about UK education. As well as searching for tagged tweets, you can tag your own tweet to make sure you are talking to an interested audience that extends beyond your followers.
You can tag absolutely any word on Twitter so it can sometimes be difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. I have read dozens of lists of ‘useful’ hashtags where many of the tags have never been used more than a handful of times. Not useful in my book.
By talking to my followers and noting which hashtags are most often used by the tweeters I follow I have compiled a list of hashtags which I think will all be of interest to UK Teachers though many extend far beyond the UK.
General Education Hashtags
- #ukedchat – UK Education. In my opinion this is the most useful hashtag for UK Teachers.
- #edchat – Education, worldwide (lots of US teachers). A really useful hashtag if you are interested in tweeting with a wide range of educators worldwide.
- #edchatie - Edchat, with an Irish flavour
- #addcym – Welsh language Edchat
- #edsg – For educators in Singapore
- #schools – Massively wide ranging but used far less than #edchat or #ukedchat
- #teaching – This hashtag seems to largely be used for jobseeking so a good place to look if you’re moving on!
- #lrnchat – Learning
- #TT – Teacher Tuesday where educators suggest others to follow
- #kinderchat – hashtag for discussing kindergarten aged children
- #EdChatIE – The educational hashtag for Ireland for all three levels
- #ClavEd – The educational hashtag for French Speakers – Wednesdays at 12h(EST) 13h(ATL) 18h(Paris)
- #GlobalEd – Education with a global dimension
- #Urbaned - For all those involved in urban education
- #Langchat – For all language teachers
- #edtech – a very wide range of tweets relating to the use of technology in education. This is a great hashtag to follow and tends to be a lot more widely used than the more niche tags. Though they may be worth following if you have a specific interest in that area
- #elearning – eLearning (funnily enough!)
- #mlearning – the use of mobile technologies in education, also #mobilelearning though this is less used
- #edapp – educational apps
- #gbl - games based learning
- #lwf11 – Learning Without Frontiers Conference 2011
- #slide2learn – iDevices and learning
- #vitalcpd – effective use of technology in the classroom
- #mathchat – mathematics
- #scichat – science
- #engchat – English
- #artsed – the arts in education
- #musedchat – music
- #eltchat – english language teacher
- #STEM – widely used for posts and resources in STEM education
- #SSChat – social studies chat
- #PEGeeks – PE and technology
- #RETeacher – Religious Education
- #HistoryTeacher – History
- #GeographyTeacher – Geography
- #ASEChat – Association of science and education weekly chat Monday 8-9pm GMT
- #PhysicsEd – Physics
- #Ecbusteach – Economics and Business Studies
Specific Areas / Roles
- #pgce – this is a widely used hashtag and is great for anyone in the UK doing their PGCE, a great way to share ideas and support
- #gtchat – for tweets related to gifted and talented education
- #esl – English as a second language, this seemed to have more relevant tweets than #EFL when I checked it
- #Bullying – especially good for finding bullying resources or help and support if bullying is an issue though it is not confined to school bullying
- #cpchat – connected principals, this is mainly used by American principals but I thought it worth including as there were some interesting links shared in the stream and it’s not too spammy
- #ntchat - new teachers, (#nqtchat seems to have lapsed)
- #spedchat – special educational needs. Live chat every Tuesday night at 8:30 EST for special education related topics
- #homeschool – everything related to home schooling, seems to be far more widely used than #hsc
- #playoutdoors – outdoor play and learning ideas
- #TLChat - is the hashtag for Teacher Librarians’ discussions/resources
- #ESDGC - Education for sustainability and global citizenship
I’m sure there are plenty more useful hashtags that could be added here. Please comment or tweet me @CreativeEdu with your suggestions and I will update the post as appropriate.