20 Great iPad Apps for Primary Literacy
From initial charges that ‘it;s just an overgrown iPhone’ the iPad is now part of many teachers’ and schools’ essential kit.
But it’s fair to say that while Apple has created a beautiful, robust and powerful piece of kit finding the best apps on the App Store can be a challenging experience.
So I asked everyone on Twitter for some advice on what th best apps were out there, and @narthernlad came back with so many suggestions I’m going to split them over a couple of posts!
Here are some suggestions for literacy apps to try with your students. If you have any other suggestions for a great iPad literacy app, I’d love to hear them. Just add them in the comments below.
1) First Letters – Match the letters and listen to the song. Teaches the youngest children phonics
2) ABC Alphabet Phonics – A simple game where children locate the correct letter
3) Story Ideas – Can you guess what this one does? A slick new app.
4) Comic Touch – Make your photos go all cartoony warping images and adding speech bubbles
5) Toontastic - A great little app that allows children to create characters, settings and their own cartoons
6) Chicktionary - As the blurb says ‘Unscramble a roost of letters and create as many words as possible’.
7) Puppetpals HD - Create your own puppet shows with animation and audio in real time
8) Hangman - An oldie, but a goodie!
9) Word Search Kids – Again, no prizes for originality here, but still lots of fun
10) StoryKit - Create your own electronic storybook
11) Adventure Books – Trying to encourage your boys to read? Who could resist an exciting adventure?
12) Storyrobe - Create and share digital stories
13) Verses – Poetry, Poems and Poets – Fridge magnets with a 21st century twist!
14) Sparklefish - Another iPad version of an old favourite, complete a story in turns then see what you get.
15) Sock Puppets – Create and share your own lip synced videos
16) Alphabet Tracing – A fun series of animations to help children learn to form letters
17) Pocketphonics - A highly rated phonics app that covers letter sounds, letter writing and first words
18) Bluster - A vocabulary building game from McGraw-Hill
19) Learn to Spell – Reception – A nice looking app that does exactly what it says on the tin
20) Sentence Builder – Designed to help young children build gramatically correct sentences